Looking Southeast along Railway Street/Road. c1920 | fullsize
Distant spire: Christ Church, Bowling Green.
- 1891: Telephonic communication between Strabane and Derry is established (reference Derry Almanac 1892 - fact supplied by Mr Curlyhill)
- 1913: Cooper family or Burroughs establish the Pallidrome cinema on the Railway Road. (See quote from Mr Curlyhill below)
- 1932: Pagoda replaces Abercorn Memorial.
- 1935: Cooper family open the Commodore Cinema on Main Street
- 1930s: HR Cooper (the famous local photographer) and Quentin Lawson convert the old Railway Road cinema into a shirt factory.The factory only runs for a short while.
- 1940s: Pallidrome building is given a new front by the famous cinema architect John McBride Neil.
Quote: Mr Curlyhill
Cooper opened the Pallidrome Cinema the year he took over Burroughs' business in 1913. I am fairly certain that Burroughs may have been setting up the Pallidrome shortly before Cooper took over the business.