Looking North c1900 | fullsize
View on WhatWasThere
The memorial in Abercorn Square commemorated Major John Humphreys; provost and agent to the Marquis of Abercorn. Major Humphreys was also the father of the famous hymn-writer and poetess Cecil Frances Humphreys Alexander and father-in-law to William Alexander (bishop of Derry and Raphoe, Archbishop of Armagh and later Primate of All Ireland).
- 1801: Fights in the Battle of Copenhagen under Nelson.
- 1833: Becomes Land Agent to the Marquis of Abercorn.
- c1836: Milltown House is completed. Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison.
- 1876: Memorial to Major Humphreys is erected in Abercorn Square.
- 1931: Abercorn Square is resurfaced with concrete. The Memorial is removed.
- 1932: A Pagoda is erected to replace the Memorial
Dictionary of Irish Architects:
Humphrey memorial clock tower and fountain