Christ Church on the Bowling Green c1912

Bowling Green
Christ Church. Looking North from Barrack Street. | fullsize
On the left edge of the image, shown in the distance, is the Hibernian Bank on New Street.

Postcard published by Milton. Franked 1912 stamp removed

View Modes


  • Cruciform church, with 3-bay arcaded nave, aisle and belfry tower with broach spire. 
  • Architect: John Kennedy, Londonderry
    (described as 'Mr Kennedy of London' by mistake in the Irish Builder 1 Sep 1874)
  • Contractor: James McClay, Strabane (cost £4,200). 
  • 1874 17 Nov: Foundation stone laid by Duchess of Abercorn.
  • 1879: Bishop Alexander consecrates the church
Christ Church (Church of Ireland in the parish of Camus-juxta-Mourne) opened in 1879. The church was built in memory of Rev James Smith; rector of the parish from 1835 to 1860. Rev Smith's successor, Rev William Alexander (rector 1860-1867 and husband of Cecil Frances Humphreys 1850) purchased the Bowling Green site.

Rev Alexander later became Bishop of Derry and Raphoe. In 1879 Bishop Alexander was asked to consecrate the church.

Related Documents:
1 Building of Christ Church 1874-1879  with letters to the Londonderry Sentinel

World History
Once in Royal David's City

Choir of King's College, Cambridge

All Things Bright and Beautiful

There Is A Green Hill Far Away.

Choir of King's College, Cambridge

  • 1850 Cecil Frances Humphreys marries William Alexander (Camus-juxta-Mourne)
  • 1896: William Alexander becomes Archbishop of Armagh

Newspaper Article:
Grey River Argus, 29 Nov 1911. (Page 8)

Related Websites:

Related Images:

No comments:

Post a Comment