Looking West along Upper Main Street c1890 | fullsize
|Architect: John Guy Ferguson |
(Frazer Ferguson & Frazer)
Contractor: McClelland & Co, Derry
Spire: 104 feet
Capacity: 750 worshippers
500 persons on the main floor and 250 on the end gallery
|1871||Sept||Foundation Stone |
Laid by Miss Houston, Lifford
|1872||Oct||Church opens. |
Rev James Gibson was the first Minister.
The cost of the new church was estimated at £4000, £3000 of which had been raised by the time the foundation stone was laid. The church basement contained a large hall which had a capacity for 400 people. The hall was used for the Sabbath school and public lectures.
- 1693: Presbyterian Meetinghouse near Orchard Street opens.
The old Meetinghouse near Orchard St. is shown on Griffith's Valuation Map c1850.
- 1872: A new Presbyterian Church on Upper Main Street opens, replacing the old Meeting-House near Orchard St.
The old Meetinghouse is converted to a school.
- 1911: 40 years after it was first proposed, Strabane's two Presbyterian congregations unite. Ministry: Rev. Edward Clarke Rev. Charles Toland
- 1938: Accidental fire destroys the church on Christmas day.
- 1939-57: The congregation worship at Leepers Brae Presbyterian Meetinghouse.
- 1957: New church opens on the Derry Road. The bell from the old church is placed in the tower of the new building.
Interior view from the gallery: First Strabane Presbyterian Church.
Timeline 1659-1911: First Strabane, Ministers
|1659||Rev. William (Robert) Keyes (Patrick Street)|
|1660||Rev Robert Wilson|
|1692||Dec||21||Rev William Holmes (Orchard Street)|
|1717||Rev Victor Freguson|
|1766||Feb||6||Rev William Crawford|
|1789||Nov||10||Rev William Dunlop|
|1821||Rev John Alexander Adam|
|1828||Mar||20||Rev William Mulligan|
|1833||Mar||30||Rev Alexander Porter Goudy D.D.|
|1859||Sept||26||Rev James Gibson D. D. (Meetinghouse Street)|
|1878||Dec||11||Rev John MacDermott D. D.|
|1881||Sept||29||Rev John Irwin D. D.|
|1891||Rev Edward Clarke (United Charge)|
Through All The Days - A Presbyterian Heritage, Strabane 1659 -1994.