Looking East from Park Street (now Park Road) | fullsize
Sitting: John Magee, Paddy Rooney (manager), Charlie McBride
Standing: Johnny Gallagher, Jack Logue, James Ryan
- 1902: Gasworks between Park Street (now Park Road) and the Canal opens.
(By The Banks of The Mourne p113)
- 1936: Strabane connects to the electricity supply.
- 1986 Aug 9: Gasworks closes. Manager Seamus McDevitt.
(By The Banks of The Mourne p128)
1905 Ordnance Survey Map
Based on a quotes from Mr Curlyhill and Mr Anonymous:Newpaper Article:
The older Gasworks, shown 400 meters south of this location on the 1905 map, was converted to a Chemical Works. What the Chemical Works produced is unknown, however iron and magnesium sulphate found in this area may indicate that it produced fertilizer or vinegar.
The Strabane Post. Nov 2010 page 18