Looking Northeast along Canal Street | fullscreen
In 1865 Robert Smyth founded a mill in Strabane at the Canal Basin. Initially Smyths Mill produced 'Cookquick' Porridge Oats and animal feed. From the 1920s the mill concentrated on producing animal feed compounds up until its closure in 1980.
After partition, Smyths purchased an old flax mill in Ballindrait and named it Swilly Valley Mills. In 1995 Donegal Creameries purchased it. That mill was in production until 2000 when a fire destroyed the site. Daleside Mill was purchased soon after and production continues today under the name Smyths Daleside Animal Feeds.