Looking West from the Town Hall | fullsize
Edward Gallagher: 1901 1911 census.
- 1869: Edward opens the drapery store.
- 1884: Town Commissioner. Chairman of the Volunteer Fire Brigade.
President of the St Eugene's Catholic Temperance Society.
- 1904: As chairman of the Urban Council, Mr Gallagher was partially responsible for the expensive, and consequently controversial, town hall refurbishment 1904.
- 1905: Gallagher re-elected by narrow margin.
- 1906: Mr Gallagher decides not to run for re-election.
- 1907: Eugene Conroy of the House League becomes chairman of the council
The Irish Canadian 5th Jun 1884 page 8
- James Kennedy was the first Caltholic man in Strabane's history to be appointed to the position of Justice of the Peace c1882. Soon after this, the position was taken up by other Catholics including Mr Gallagher. Edward was also to replace Mr Kennedy as Town Commissioner by 1884.
Related Documents: Strabane Factories (by Mr CurlyHill)