2012-09-07

Flyover: c1864 Londonderry Enniskillen Railway

The route of the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway c1864, overlaid on modern satellite imagery from Google Earth.

The route and POIs in the video were reconstructed from the maps of the Griffith's Valuation. Whilst the terminus at Enniskillen was reached in 1854, the Griffith's Valuation maps, used for the video, date to circa 1864. Maps for Londonderry were not available, therefore the video picks up the route just outside Derry City. To view the complete route see the download section below.

  • 1844: Sir John McNeil presents his plan of the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway to parliament. 
  • 1845 July: Parliament passes McNeil's plan but McNeil declines to build the line.
  • 1845 Aug 18: Robert Stephenson takes on the project but rubbishes McNeil's plans.
  • 1847: The L&ER line from Derry reaches Strabane.
  • 1848: Stephenson withdraws from the project.
  • 1854 Aug 19: The railway line reaches the terminus at Enniskillen.
  • 1863 Sept 7: Finn Valley Railways open the Strabane to Stranorlar line.
  • 1957 Oct 1: Enniskillen railway station closes
Sections of the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway

If you wish to inspect or alter the path data used in the flyover, a file in KMZ format is now available for download

To use: open the file inside Google Earth.

3 comments:

  1. It is very interesting topic for discussion. The proofreading-services.org/english.php will help you with the writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Fajar. I live in  Bedono in Central Java   I was in a very chronic financial issue and terminal health situation some few weeks back. After all my search for assistance from friends and neighbors proved abortive, I feel there was no one who truly cares. I became so exhausted due to lack of funds to expand my business and my 2 kids aged 5 and 8 were also not good looking due to lack of proper care as a result of finance. One faithful morning I saw an old time friend of my late husband and I told him all I have been going through and he said the only way he could help was to direct me to a good loan officer in USA that also helped him, He explained to me on how he was financially down and how he got boosted by this loan officer ( Mr Pedro   who grant him 7,000,000.00 USD loan at an affordable rate of 2% rate . He further assured me that they were the only legit loan firm he found online. He gave me their email &  That was how i applied and was also granted a loan and my life changed for the good. CONTACT THE ONLY GENUINE LENDER Mr Pedro VIA    Email:    pedroloanss@gmail.com  to resolve your financial mess.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comfortable and good standard of living I now enjoy with my
    family, is all thanks to you Mrs Doris Ashley , before now I had a
    low income and did a lot of online trade which no profit, but you can
    like an angel and change all of that in just one week, you turned my
    $500 to $5,000 with your intelligence as an expert and from that day I
    had made more profit each week investing more, there is no amount of
    thanks that will be enough for what you have done for me and my
    family, but I promise sir I will speak of your honesty, handwork and
    trust to the world, this is dream come true for me for finding a legit
    Account manager like you, I advise the entire public to invest with Mrs Doris Ashley and be financially stable contact her on the following
    Email: Dorisashley52@gmail. com
    Whats App: +351 968 942 567

    ReplyDelete